Saturday, September 19, 2015

Ossipee, New Hampshire

Sept 18 - 19
Friday

Left the campground and drove thru Brimfield, MA thinking of the Keno brothers on the Antiques Roadshow and how they always say that Brimfield is the best place in New England to find antiques. What they don't say is that there are only 3 shows a year there and the last one was last week.
 I missed it.  

But hundreds of tents were still set up on both sides of the road thru this tiny village, showing just how huge this week long show is.










As I was leaving Brimfield the campground called to say I had left my levelers behind at the campsite. Damn! How could I have not felt driving down off of them? 


I didn't feel the flat tire the other day either. After 3 months of driving all day is my ass dead?!
I guess I can say ass, it's my blog.

So drove back 9 miles to retrieve them and from now on will put their bag on the electric cord, if I can remember.



 Passed near Sturbridge Village but didn't stop as Bob and I had seen it a few years ago. There are many New England sites I'll not be repeating. Life is too short to repeat things.
.
The latent hippie in me did want to see Woodstock, NY, the site of the 1969 rock concert.  But learned too late it isn't in Woodstock. It was back in White Lake, NY which I had already passed. Thought of going back but there is a limit to how far I will drive to see an empty field. There is a museum there......

Coming into Ossipee, NH I stopped at the post office to ask if anyone knew the address of Nelson's Hilltop Farm. I was on a quest to find it for friends Bud and Sandy in California who hadn't seen it since it was sold a number of years ago. It had been in the family for a century, and they used to go there as kids for the summer with grandparents. The post office people were too young but suggested I call the Town Recorder who thought maybe it was off of Pork Hill Road.
 Will look further tomorrow.



Stayed at this great KOA










where the traditional Saturday morning pancake breakfast was happening 










and the dog group was gathered for coffee.

I love the guy with the Bassett on his lap










And this little Schitzu I would have stolen if I thought I could have gotten away with it.









Drove to the old village of Ossipee where a Town Hall meeting was taking place.










Knowing New Hampshire's reputation for predicting presidential outcomes from their primaries, I had  to stop in for a listen.

The hot topic today was a zoning issue. Of the people I asked about the Nelson farm, most were from out of the area with summer homes there.


Except Susan, who overheard me asking and said she knew the place. I would find it at #3 Beach Pond Road off Pork Hill. At last a real address for GYPSY.
Nelson's Hilltop Farm

She was right on. I had seen a picture of it many years ago.

No one seemed to be home so I poked around and took a few pictures, hoping no one came out with a shotgun.

Mission accomplished.




2 comments:

  1. Ah, the Nelson's farm looks dreamy! And yes you can say ass on your blog (not that you need my permission).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I've said ASS, too. Love the dogs at b'fst.

    ReplyDelete