Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Maine

August 11
Tuesday


Before leaving New Hampshire this morning I had breakfast here at the Littleton Diner right on Main St.  It's a train car transformed into a restaurant. The 1930 Sterling Steamliner diner car has old wooden benches and the original arched ceiling, which keeps the narrow space from feeling cramped.



It was pretty early and the crowd began to arrive as I was leaving.

 The food was just OK, but the waitresses' t-shirts are truly memorable, with a philosophy for good living on the back.








Melanie tells me the diner is celebrating its 85 year anniversary this year in this very location, so had these memorial t-shirts done.
I'm wishing I had bought one for $20...






My first view of Maine is a yard Mike and Frank on American Pickers would like.











Drove all the way across Maine in 5 hours only stopping for lunch in Bangor to do an A/B comparison of McDonald's lobster roll with the one I had yesterday by the lake.

It was just as good and only $8.
Wonder if they'll do these in California....




When I think of Maine I visualize 
overcast, cold drizzly weather. 

Maine didn't disappoint the entire drive over to the coast.

Am in Lubec for the night to see Campobello Island tomorrow. Lubec is the easternmost town in the U.S.


 August 12
Wednesday

Drove across the Roosevelt International Bridge into New Brunswick, Canada to the Roosevelt Campobello International Park, the only International Park in the world, administered by Canada and the U.S. The park takes up about 1/4 of the island of New Brunswick and is open just 20 weeks each year. 

FDR's mother gave this 34 room "cottage" to Eleanor and Franklin as a wedding gift. 

 FDR had spent July and August 
and part of September here every year between 1883 and 1921. He was struck with polio in August of 1921 while here at Campobello. 



Most of the furnishings and wallpaper are said to be those of the Roosevelts or reproductions of the period.








FDR and Eleanor's bedroom.

 There are 18 bedrooms in the home, 6 for the family of 5 children, 6 for staff, and 6 for guests.

The home wasn't electrified until 1954 because Eleanor preferred the charm of candles or kerosene lamps.



At one P.M. I  had "Tea with Eleanor" a program put on by two park service women who entertained us with stories about Eleanor and her time here at Campobello.



After the Tea I drove around the eight miles of roads admiring cliffs, bogs, woodlands and stunning seascapes.
The 2,600 acre nature area of the park was bought to protect the cottage and its surroundings from development.






I was given a map to hike
 thru the woods to see the East Quoddy Head Lighthouse. It sounded like a fun thing to do.









I was told that if I didn't get back from the unmanned lighthouse about 200 yards away before the tide turned, I'd be there more than eight hours.  So I decided not to chance it since it was already 4:30. and the tide turned at 5p.m. So took this picture from where I was.






The day spent equal time being overcast and misty with occasional bursts of sunshine that were all too short.









The fog hangs over the water so you can't tell where it leaves off and the sea begins.



Back at Sunset Point Campground I did some laundry and chatted with neighbors Becky and Jack from Reno trading travel tips.











7 comments:

  1. I;m enjoying your blog so much! Too bad I didn't have your itinerary, as I have a cousin in Littleton-the LaHouts, who own practically the whole town. Their store(s) are on the south end of Main st. and sell sporting goods of all kinds, mainly winter stuff. I've eaten where you did. Also have a cousin of Don's in Mtn Lakes, N.J.close to NYC. Would you like her phone#? She's a great gal-90 yrs young. Travel safe. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm the fog. I love to see the geography of the east coast near the water- so different from home; a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Redwood City, there is "The Lobster Shack" - with Maine like lobster rolls !! The weather you describe here is what we experienced in Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's coming up in southern Maine, almost to the Massachusettes border.

      Delete
    2. It's coming up in southern Maine, almost to the Massachusettes border.

      Delete
    3. It's coming up in southern Maine, almost to the Massachusettes border.

      Delete