Saturday, August 8, 2015

More Vermont

August 5
Wednesday

 The best thing about last night besides getting a lot of reading done, was it was free.  The large motorhome that was leaving as I arrived decided not to stay when they found there was no wifi, so the ranger offered their prepaid spot to me. Yes!

Vermont's Route 100 has been called the most scenic in England and is known as the Skiers Highway because it connects the state's four main ski resorts running north to south: Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington and Mount Snow.
I would start with Stowe and work my way south.
The road really comes into its own in autumn for fall foliage as it goes along the edge of the Green Mountain State Forest. Too bad I won't be here to see it. I set Gypsy for the Stowe Mt Ski Resort.

On the way it began to rain but no matter as I was listening to NPR and an interesting guest who was talking about success and how imporant it is to finish what we start.

At the address for the resort was a toll road leading up into the mountain that charged $19. The woman at the gate said it was quite steep and became narrow where the pavement ended. It was a 4 mile gravel road after that and I should use low gear going up and coming down.  By now it was raining really hard. I sat for a minute thinking of forgetting it, but damn NPR said I shouldn't quit. And besides this is where Tyler worked last winter installing snow making equipment and I wanted to see it. So up I went.



It did stop raining half way up.
 Beautiful views as I took my eyes off the road and stopped for a picture.

All I could think of driving up this rough road was that Vermonters must really want to ski to do this.




When I reached the top, WTF?!  no ski resort, only people hiking and checking out the view!









The girl at the visitor center said O no, this is just hiking trails up here. The Ski Lodge is farther down the road back down on the highway. Then why was this given by Google as the address for the ski lodge?

She explained that this entire area is the Stowe Mountain Ski Resort and all uses the same address. I feel sorry for the mailman.

So not wanting to hike in my sandals, I looked around at the view and headed back down, laughing at myself for using a few hours for a great view. 

Headed back down thinking to myself that now I had driven up Vermont's highest peak, Mt Manchester (4393 ft) to be added to my other rough roads, the road to Hana in Hawaii and the Al Can hwy to Alaska.  But I didn't quit!





Down at the bottom continued on to find the resort finally. 

By now it was way past lunch so went into Stowe to the Green Goddess cafe for a good eggplant Panini.






Stowe is just the village I expected it to be with white clapboard buildings and the church steeple right near town.









Wandered the side streets, then ended up at the Visitors Bureau for a recommendation of a place to stay the night.








The Brass Lantern was cozy and quaint and had a mid-week special price of $110 so it was perfect for my once a week non camping experience.









Filled with antiques, I thought the quaintness of the place might overwhelm me, but the down to earth owners Mary Ann and George brought me back to reality.

George was the chef for breakfast with Mary Ann acting as waitress.  Coffee, juice, fruit cup, blueberry muffin and an absolutely loaded breakfast burrito kept me going until dinner. Mary Ann called this the two meal plan.

So, the Brass Lantern next time you are in Stowe, Vermont.
Tell them Liz sent you.






5 comments:

  1. It seems like everywhere you go is gorgeous! And so green. I can't get over the green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's because of all the rain. That's what causes all the green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liz, know one would ever make the mistake of thinking you a quitter. Loving all the details you include in your blog.
    Shanah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, STOWE! It's the summer version of the winter pics Ty sent with snow.

    ReplyDelete