Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sanibel, Captiva, Siesta Key

Sunday
January 24

On my way to the coastal islands of Florida I stop off in Clearwater for lunch.  So many fishing charters, so much fish, and just as many seagulls and other birds trying to steal it as it's being cleaned.




This very persistent Pelican flew right into me as he was being chased away from the day's catch.








Had a good Grouper Cheek sandwich at this snack shack on the water.











Perfect windy day for
kite surfing off the coast.










Stopped in Ft.Meyers for a visit with
 Carol Sue's Uncle Bill at the 
Thunderbird Mobil Home Park.
It's the perfect place to be for a few months every year to get out of the cold Ohio winters.






Pretty neighborhoods driving out to Siesta Key.











The pure white sand beaches here are legendary.
I strolled around a bit looking for shells without much luck, then went into town for a lazy lunch.








A stop in the small charming art community of Venice for lunch with 
Carol Collins, a local artist.
Catching up on girl talk, I had forgotten how much I miss it.







lunch at Croissant & Co. in Venice



Continuing down the coast the drive out to Sanibel Island is crowded, making it a slow ride to the end at Captiva.

Anne Morrow Lindberg wrote 
Gifts from the Sea here.





I was tempted to make arrangements for a boat to take me to Cabbage Key where Jimmy Buffet supposedly wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise" but decided not to as I had reservations in an RV park for the night.  
It's the season now and not that easy to get last minute anything.




The National Shell Museum 
on Sanibel Island is the only one in the country.










This giant Conch was found in Brazil in 1983 and is easily 4 ft long.








Don't remember the name of these,
but aren't they incredibly beautiful?!









The National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel has a 2 mile nature trail where I spotted this gathering of 
Snowy Egrets.






 It was Sunday night so I stayed at a Howard Johnson Motel so I could watch another episode of 
Downton Abbey.   Parts of my old life still remain the same.




















4 comments:

  1. Did the pelican actually slam into you? What luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wish I had my phone up for a camera shot.

      Delete
    2. Yes, wish I had my phone up for a camera shot.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete