Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Headed Home


Friday 
March 25, 2016

Driving up Hwy 1 on my way home I stop at Seal Beach near San Simeon Hearst Castle to see the Elephant Seal pups strewn on the beach.
 These are babies born this spring to parents who have moved on.



These beautiful scenes along the Big Sur area never cease to amaze me.

I  always knew I would know when my journey was over.
 For the last few weeks I've felt that to be true. 
 So am headed home with the excuse of getting my taxes done. 
But I really just want to be home again in my own house with my clothes hanging in the closet.

Bixby Bridge



I am wimping out on the last two months of my year long trip around the US, 
but having logged 27,068 miles in 35 states, I feel I've done it justice.


Am so anxious to be home that if Buckingham Palace was across the road
and the Queen was waiting to greet me I wouldn't bother.


It was lunch time so stopped at Nepenthe's to admire the patio view. 
This place began as a rest stop for Orson Wells and Rita Hayworth during WWII when they were driving down the coast back to LA. Enchanted with the view, they bought the hillside where they picnicked which included an old house. They never returned and never stayed in the house
 but later sold it to be developed into Nepenthe's restaurant.
 I like to think Orson and Rita would have liked the way it turned out. 
My memories of it in the 70s included young women with long skirts and flowers in their hair.
It was quite the hippie hangout back in the day.

Julia Pfeiffer State Park




Driving up Hwy 1 in Big Sur isn't exactly like Conky Tonkin'
down Hwy 1 in Florida to the Keys, but close.



I must be back in California.

Our unique boutique blend of
 environmentally friendly gasoline makes for
 high prices at the pump near Morrow Bay











Lovely day for a coffee visit with cousin Patricia and husband Carey in Carmel.





Wonderful to drive into Lisa's driveway in Willow Glen in San Jose.
My adventure isn't over until I move back into my condo June 1
 when my renter moves out.
Until then I'll be in San Francisco with Florida friend Bob for most of April. 
So stay tuned for the final blog.

After this long year of self-imposed exile, I've come out of the wandering,
looked around, and decided I've had enough of road trip as therapy.

It was a memorable time during which I learned a lot about myself and America, 
and am now ready to move on with what remains of my life.




10 months   35 states     27,068 miles








2 comments:

  1. Well that was a moving close. I'm so happy you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a moving close. I'm so happy you are home.

    ReplyDelete