Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Indiana and Michigan

July 16


Leaving Chicago I skirted around the end of Lake Michigan to see the dunes at Michigan City, Indiana, something I had heard about as a kid. Not quite like the Eastern shore dunes but close enough.






From there, having missed the world's largest ball of string a few states back, I took a look at the RV Museum near Elkhart, Indiana.

Almost from its invention people immediately saw the auto as a getaway vehicle.



1911 touring car


                                                                                     

  My parents' late 1970's Cortez was there, one of the earliest of the large motorhomes.




It brought back fond memories of trips to Disneyland with 14 kids and grandkids packed in like sardines, the current baby asleep in the bathtub and sleeping bags lining the aisle that had to be stepped over on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Good times.





At the Elkhart RV park my neighbor Lucy and her little dog are experienced tent campers. After she got set up we sat out gabbing over a cup of tea (because I had finished my wine last night).





 Another neighbor, Marguerite, came by and invited us to join her for wine. She and her husband were part of the Avion travel trailer rally that was there for the weekend.  The Avion is a forerunner of the Airstream and is no longer manufactured making it vintage. It's enthusiasts gather once a year for a rally. Marguerite gave us the 25 cent tour of her cute place which she has done in all 1940's vintage.


Working my way up the Michigan peninsula, Petrosky was having an Art in the Park.









Charlevoix was having an antique car show with autos on display right near the wharf.








Cars and boats, a guys dream weekend!









I spotted a 1948 Crosley, made in my hometown, Richmond, Indiana.  The only one I had ever seen outside of the museum there.







The downtown is so charming right across from the wharf that I thought, I could live here! And then I remembered they have winter.  I would have to call my home 3 Seasons.






In one of the shop window boxes there was a most unusual white flower. The shop owner said it attracts more people in than her window display.






It's called a Spider Daisy and comes from Africa. She bought it at the local Home Depot.






This is my first blog, I believe, without a single old house, not that there weren't plenty I could have included. Thought I would give you a break from architectural cuteness.

4 comments:

  1. Never heard of a spider daisy, but it is unusual & beautiful! Am I guessing correctly that your next blog will be about visiting relatives in Richmond, Indiana?? What an interesting journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Toronto now visiting a friend and from here will head south to Niagra Falls and the East coast of the US. Indiana will happen in Sept when my high school is having our 55th reunion. So will do that part of the US then. Bobbie is flying in before the reunion to see my home town as an adult. She was only 3 or 4 the last time so doesn't remember much.

      Delete
  2. RV HALL OF FAME! Woo! I remember that Cortez of Gramp and Grams, I was one of the kids of the floor being stepped over (and ON). That Spider Daisy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cortez! And that 1911 touring car, dreamy. How do you find so much stuff happening? Are you regretting missing the giant ball of string?

    ReplyDelete